One of the most basic issues that we come acress at Winnipeg Supply Service Experts in Winnipeg is dusty air filters. They might seem like a very insignificant piece of the overall home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us control comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners realize. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a filthy air filter can cause a host of problems for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you neglect to change your air filter? Here are a just a few of the side effects you might encounter:
- Decreased airflow. This is easily the greatest headache you’ll note when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being swapped out, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this hinders air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working a lot harder to provide you with the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder due to a clogged air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s working overtime to provide you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a probability if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something breaks or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off more than it should. When your system short cycles, it can overheat or break down from the added work, possibly causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A shortened equipment lifecycle
- Decreased energy efficiency
- Decreased air quality
- Greater dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last switched out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to avoid any likely damage that may come with a filthy air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the number of air filters available, give Winnipeg Supply Service Experts a call at 204-800-0613 or schedule an appointment online.