How to Heat and Cool a New Area in Your House That Doesnt Have Ductwork
Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your home, being comfortable in your new area year-round is important. However, they can create a unique problem for heating and cooling. This is because adding ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be deal with the heightened load, because it was sized without considering the addition.
One of the most cost-effective solutions is to add a mini-split. This system delivers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Learn more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition might be a good fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split, as they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are highly energy efficient since they transfer heat to make your addition more comfortable. In fact, many have reached ENERGY STAR® certification, which may make you eligible for added rebates and lower your heating and cooling bills for years to come.
Another unique feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Since each room typically has a dedicated indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is especially beneficial if you have a area with precise temperature needs, including a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for rooms that are without ductwork. Here are a few reasons why it’s wiser than adding ductwork and relying on your current heating and cooling system.
- Installing ductwork is costly. Extending ductwork in your new addition can add up quickly. Although the exact amount will depend on your house, it be as much as thousands of dollars.
- Your existing home comfort system may become stressed. When your present heating and cooling system was put in, it was based on the square footage of your house prior to the addition. This can stress your system and make it wear down faster.
- Your comfort might decrease. As your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort could suffer if your system has to manage a larger space. Your heating and cooling may be less efficient, and your energy expenses may increase due to the system needing to run more regularly.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like more common systems, mini-splits are offered in several sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you collaborate our Experts at Winnipeg Supply Service Experts, we’ll help you get the right size for your new area. And your wallet.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate big energy savings over its life span, which can be 20 years or more when adequately serviced. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Winnipeg Supply Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From answering all your questions and helping you select the recommended model to providing Expert mini-split installation, Winnipeg Supply Service Experts can accommodate all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently finished one, we can help. Give us a call at 204-800-0613 now to request a free consultation and estimate.