When bad weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair professional to check your system post-storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Winnipeg Supply Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event takes place.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets tossed around during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system totally off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to return out of your home, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Winnipeg Supply Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Winnipeg, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other problems that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Winnipeg or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 204-800-0613 or schedule an appointment with Winnipeg Supply Service Experts through our online scheduler.