Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is running? There's likely something wrong with your AC. If you don’t pay attention to it, it could lead to major—and expensive—troubles eventually. We're going to help you understand what’s occurring with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling generally indicates a problem with your refrigerant line. If you can't pinpoint where the noise is emanating from, that's alright. A technician can help find out where this noise is occurring. You can read more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could be due to debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Old ductwork can cause noise inside your house. Browse our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can be created by a damanged refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is probably an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can mean you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can be due to a loose part. Check out our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A loud noise from your external unit can mean an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Check out our loud noise guide for additional information.
- Humming - Humming can begin with fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Read through our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find more information about frequent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep using my air conditioner when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's almost impossible to answer this question without looking at your system.
In most cases, we recommend shutting off the unit off and calling a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you suspect there's something wrong with your air conditioner. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected spend, it's smart to get problems corrected right away. Getting a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.