How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Winnipeg Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments respond to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s usually linked to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources including gas or oil furnaces.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so important?

Carbon monoxide can be deadly; its that simple. CO2 is tops when ranking leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and prolonged fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Winnipeg homeowner. Severe poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning has also been reported to occur over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

So what can you do?

  1. No home should be without a reliable, tested CO2 detector. You can contact Winnipeg Supply Service Experts to purchase one today.
  2. Existing CO2 detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also a good idea to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced any of the symptoms cited above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us

Our Health and Safety Commitment
At Service Experts, our top priority is always the health and safety of our customers and team. We are following all COVID-19 (Coronavirus) public safety guidelines and adjusting our business practices as needed to ensure customer and employee wellbeing. As a precautionary measure, anyone working on behalf of Service Experts – including our technicians – is being asked to stay home for the recommended 14 day quarantine period if they are returning from out-of-country, have been exposed to a presumptive or confirmed case, or are feeling unwell. We are providing our technicians and other field employees with additional health and safety guidance to assist in keeping our customers and employees safe. Please be prepared to answer brief health and safety questions with our representative. We will continue to monitor the situation and will adjust our business practices as required. We recognize that this may be a particularly stressful time and want you to know that, we are committed to serving you and making your experience as easy as possible.