Spring is nice for many reasons: flowers are blossoming, you can open windows for fresh air and your power bill is normally at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not turning on your heater or air conditioner.
But as temps begin to rise, so do your energy bills. Here are a couple of ideas for saving energy in Winnipeg and keeping costs down.
1. Book Seasonal AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system a yearly maintenance visit can help it run more efficiently and cut down costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep energy bills less expensive.
If your HVAC equipment has experienced better days, spring is an excellent time to update it. The energy-saving features in updated cooling systems is an obvious advantage for keeping your utility charges down.
2. Turn Down Your Thermostat
There’s a painless way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling charges. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours during the day.
Understanding how to expertly schedule your thermostat is the smartest way to reduce energy charges in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think of it this way, the less significant the difference between outdoor temperatures and interior temperatures, the less expensive your energy cost will be.
- When you’re away, set the thermostat to a considerably higher temperature or turn it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty home.
3. Experiment with Other Approaches to Cool Your Space
You can turn to several other methods to help keep your home comfortable:
- Use a ceiling fan—By turning on a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan turn counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which drives cool air upward. This moves cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds closed—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it comes through windows. Keep your home comfortable by closing blinds and curtains when you’re not staying in sunny rooms.
4. Look Into Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’re out and about and suddenly realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you fret about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your routine and adjust the temp when you’re out and about to help you save on your bills. You can also change the temp from anywhere with your phone.
These pro tips will all help keep summer energy bills less expensive. If you think it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, give us a call at 204-800-0613 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the best product for your space. And as usual, all our services are endorsed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.